By Madura & Ashan
On a glorious spring Sunday, guests and Geckos streamed into the Railway Tavern for a challenge like no other. Six rounds, eight questions each, punctuated by a variety of fiendish bonus rounds. For those who couldn’t make it, here is just a little taster of what you were missing out on:
1) General knowledge: #indyref was tweeted more 3.75 million times on a single day in 2014. What does it stand for?
2) Geography: Put these lakes in descending order of size? A) Huron, B) Victoria, C) Superior, D) Michigan
3) Science & Technology: What is happening in this photo?
4) Sport: Which half Sri Lankan cricketer stunned England in the 2013 Ashes by debuting with 98?
5) TV & Film: What is the most illegally pirated T.V. show?
6) Music: What song is being described in this video? (from our international correspondent and well known gecko, Hemita!)
Host Denesh Srikantharajah emulated his hero Dermot O’Leary by keeping the night running with his own unique blend of humour and banter. Our quizmaster brought back the classic bonus rounds, reviving the old “Heads or Tails” round where the contestants were be whittled down one coin flick at a time. The lucky victor won herself a point for the team and a pint on the house!
The quick-fire round tested your primary school science as the audience raced to text in the names of the planets in our solar system. Comically the answers still keep rolling in…with the odd one missing planet Earth!
Ultimately it was yet another successful night for charity. We raised £475 for the charity, and enjoyed an evening full of fun and laughs, with unexpected participation from the bar staff singing a snippet of Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody! Victory went to Rav Jayasuriya’s team (with an unfortunately inappropriate team name), winning themselves some cinema vouchers.
Thank you again to all who attended and made it such a great night! We wish you all a happy and prosperous Sri Lankan New Year, and hope to see you at our next event, the Gecko Sixes, on Saturday 20th June 2015.
Answers: (1) Scottish Independence Referendum, (2) C>B>A>D, (3) Google street view of a desert, (4) Ashton Agar, (5) Game of Thrones, (6) Rude by Magic!